A brief summary of my bio:
- BA (Honours) in Political Science, Duke University, 1986
- MA in International Policy Studies, Stanford University, 1990
Writing published in many of Australia’s major publications, including:
- The Age
- Good Weekend
- Sydney Morning Herald
- Brisbane Times
- West Australian
- The Big Issue
- Eureka Street
- Australian Doctor
- Child Magazine
- Mothering Magazine
- Regular columnist for ‘65 Roses Magazine‘, Cystic Fibrosis Victoria
Winner of National Literary Award from the Fellowship of Australian Writers for a short story (excerpt from memoir).
- National Engagement Advisor, Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA), January 2017-present.
- Member, Accreditation team for the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (RACS) on behalf of the Australian Medical Council, 2016-2017.
- Senior Manager, Health Issues Centre, 2012-2016.
- Member, Standing Committee on Health, Safety, Quality and Outcomes (SQOC), 2013-2015.
- Member, Clinical Quality and Safety Committee, Royal Children’s Hospital, Melbourne, 2008-2017.
- Inaugural Chair, Family Advisory Council, Royal Children’s Hospital, Melbourne, 2008-2010 (Chair), 2010-2015 (member).
- Founding member, ’65km for Cystic Fibrosis’. Fundraising initiative raised over $680,000 in event’s first six years (2013-2018) for Murdoch Children’s Research Institute and Monash Health.
- Judge for Public healthcare awards (2014-2017), Minister for Health Volunteer Awards (2013-2018), Panel chair (2016)
- Academy for Emerging Leaders in Patient Safety – Faculty 2016-2018
- Director, Australian Institute for Patient and Family Centred Care, 2009-2014.
- Chair, 2012 Australasian CF Conference (Lay)
- Spoken at lay and medical conferences across Australia, New Zealand and the US.
- Presented training and talks to over 4000 staff in person centred care from the patient and family perspective.
- Married to Darryl, a New Zealander
- Mother of three top-notch young men
- Raised in California, lived in five other countries since 1986; dual citizen